Table of Contents
The following list includes Crow Wing County meetings that may be attended by one or more members of the Crow Wing County Board:
Meets 9:30 a.m. Thursday, July 1, Brainerd Lakes Regional Airport Commission, Airport Conference Room
Monday, July 5, Independence Day (Observed) – County Offices closed
Meets 6 p.m. Monday, June 28
Washington Educational Services Building
804 Oak St., Brainerd
1. Call the meeting to order and roll call:
2. Pledge of Allegiance:
3. Announcement by Chair Nystrom:
A. This meeting of the Brainerd School Board is being conducted in accordance with Minnesota Statutes 13D.021— Meetings by Telephone or Other Electronic Means. Persons may monitor this meeting from a remote location by watching on YouTube live. This meeting is being recorded. Access to the recording will be made available on the school district’s website as soon as is reasonably possible. The meeting will be open to a limited number of people with social distancing being maintained. There will be room for a total of 33 people to attend the meeting.
4. Approval of the agenda as presented/amended:
5. District Recognitions:
Congratulations to the Warrior Track and Field athletes who qualified for the MSHSL
State Tournament, held June 19, 2021. Brenna Deason, Molly Hagelie, Myah Nelson, Madi Genz, Kate Stadum, Hanna Caughey, Dylan Gross, Brandon Stark, Thomas Ruhl, Baden Bastian, and Ethan Klisch. All the athletes medaled and the results are:
Dylan Gross, Shot Put, 6th Place, 51’ 3/4”
4 x 800 Meter Relay: Baden Bastian, Brandon Stark, Ethan Klisch, Thomas Ruhl, 6th Place, 8:04.35
Hanna Caughey, Shot Put, 6th Place, 38’ 2 ½”; Discus, 7th Place, 120’ 8”
Brenna Deason, 100 Meter Dash, 8th Place, 12.29; Pole Vault, 12th Place, 10’
4 x 100 Meter Relay: Molly Hagelie, Myah Nelson, Madison Genz, Brenna Deason, 3rd Place, 48.83
Congratulations to Warrior Golfers Anna Krieger placed 7th with a score of 149 at the MSHSL State Tournament, Izzy Olson placed 23rd with a score of 160, Katie Foley placed 31st with a score of 163, and Erik Stoxen placed 16th with a score of 146.
6. Public Input: If a member of the public would like to address the board during our public input time, there will be chairs available in the boardroom. Comments will be limited to three minutes and the board will not address the topic discussed at that time.
7. Approval of Minutes:
A. Regular Board Meeting – June 14, 2021
8. Consent calendar: Hiring’s are approved pending negotiated contracts/agreements and a district approved /acceptable background check.
A. Staff Changes/Leaves
B. Gifts & Grants Approval
C. Ratify Payment of Bills
For Action –
1. Presentation: Blueprint 181 Project Update: Damien Williams, Scott Whittemore, Kyle Walters, Justin Maaninga, Mark Needham, and Reid Thiesse.
2. Approve Proposal #84181 utilizing Sourcewell contracts, which includes the Brainerd High School academic wing science casework for a price of $779,536.00 as presented.
Proposal Design Development
3. Approve Proposal #84191 utilizing Sourcewell contracts which includes the South Campus gym flooring and equipment for an owner directed amount not to exceed $135,100.00 as presented.
4. Approval to move the Schematic Design to Design Development at the Brainerd Learning Center as presented.
5. Presentation: The Center Update – DeAnn Barry
6. Approval to renew the Farm Greenhouse with The Center for a cost of $1.00 per year as requested.
7. Approval of the contract for Fiscal Year 2021 Audit Services with CliftonLarsonAllen LLP as presented. – Marci Lord
8. Approval of the Pupil Transportation Services Agreement with Reichert Bus Company for July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2023 as presented. – Norby Klimek, Marci Lord & Heidi Hahn
9. Approval to renew the 2021-22 Annual MREA Membership in the amount of $2,500.00 as presented – Laine Larson
10. Approval of the Second Reading of Revised MSBA Policy #416 – Drug and Alcohol Testing as presented.- Angie Bennett
416 – Drug and Alcohol Testing
11. Approval to reinstate and rename Form 416D-416G in relation to Policy #416 – Drug and Alcohol Testing as presented. – Angie Bennett
416D renamed to 416A
416E renamed to 416B
416F renamed to 416C
416G renamed to 416D
12. Presentation: 2021-2022 Preliminary Budget – Marci Lord
13. Approval of the 2021-2022 Preliminary Budget as presented.
14. Approval to change the July School Board meeting from July 12, 2021, to July 19, 2021, at 6 p.m. This will become a Special School Board meeting.
15. Board Discussion: Commitment to Equity for All Students at Brainerd Public Schools – ISD #181.
A. Curriculum Report – Tim Murtha
B. Equity Task Force – Charles Black Lance
C. AIPAC Task Force – Charles Black Lance
D. Business Services Report – Marci Lord
E. Superintendent’s Report – Laine Larson
F. School Board Report – Bob Nystrom or Ruth Nelson
10. Future Meetings:
June 28, 2021, Optional Tours of Garfield Elementary, 4 p.m., Lowell Elementary at
4:30 p.m., and Riverside Elementary, 5 p.m.
June 28, 2021, Regular School Board Meeting, 6 p.m.
June 29 – July 2, 2021, Offices Closed for Cleaning – Working Virtually
July 5, 2021, District Offices Closed for July 4th Holiday
July 6, 2021, Project Oversight Team Meeting, 8 a.m.
July 19, 2021, Optional Tours of Brainerd High School, 4:30 p.m.and South Campus, 5 p.m.
July 19, 2021, Regular School Board Meeting, 6 p.m.
(Only School Board meeting the month of July)
Aug 23, 2021, New Teacher Breakfast, 8 a.m. at FMS
Aug. 30 – Sept.2, 2021, Workshop Week for Staff
Sept. 6, 2021, Labor Day – District Offices Closed
Sept. 7, 2021, First Day of School
Sept. 2021 (TBD), Grand Opening Celebrations for Baxter Elementary, Warrior Early Learning
Center, Nisswa Elementary, and Harrison Elementary.
11. Other Business:
Meets 9:30 a.m. Thursday, July 1
Airport Conference Room – Passenger Terminal Building
1. Call to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Motion to Approve Agenda
4. Consent Calendar. (Note: All matters listed in this form are considered routine by the Commission and will all be enacted in one motion in the form listed below.)
a. Approval of Minutes from the Regular Meeting of May 6, 2021, with Financial Report of April 2021, as distributed.
Suggested action: Motion to approve Consent Calendar
5. Approval to Pay Bills (As emailed to Commission)
a. Roll Call
6. Public Forum
a. Airport Director
a.i. Written Director’s Report
b. Consulting Engineer
8. Old Business
a. Discussion – Brainerd Public Utilities – Draft Solar Lease Presentation
9. New Business
a. Discussion/Action – Federal Aviation Administration Antenna and Space Lease
b. Discussion – ARFF/SRE Facility Expenses
11. Next Meeting Date
Any individual needing special accommodations, call 218-825-2166.